Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stop Exploiting Michael Jackson!


As I was walking through the city of New York, I noticed something interesting today. No, it wasn't the sun, which was making its first appearance in the city for the first time in two months. A homeless man with this sign -- Stop the Exploitation of Michael Jackson.


Look, I liked MJ's music. Well, I did until he went off the deep end and became, to borrow from a Dos Equis commercial's tag line, "the most interesting man in the world." Although, instead of being interesting for the right reasons, he became a bizarre cult figure -- pet monkey, building an amusement park in his backyard, mangaling his face, marrying Elvis' daughter, literally turning black to white, having a child with a really ugly chick (or at least paying her off to say that it's his kid), naming the kid Blanket and putting him in a freaking burqua and, not to forget, multiple child molestation charges. I'm still not sure if Mike is dead or if he got beemed up to the Enterprise or something.

Now he's dead and we worship the guy again because he's dead. Admittedly, this was expected to happen. Hell, I'm a huge Nirvana fan and I know that if Kurt Cobain didn't shoot himself, Nirvana wouldn't have nearly the following it does now. But lets not forget that this Jacko at the end of his life was simply insane. He wasn't a saint by any means. We should respect his professional work, some of the very best pop music that changed it forever. He isn't Gandhi or Mother Theresa, though. So please, stop exploiting Michael Jackson.

1 comment:

Imaginary Friend said...

Word!
/will buy eight copies of the re-released "Thriller."